[Stoves] Pollution: An innovation prize for clean cookstoves

Tuong DoDuc tuong.do at devi-renewable.com
Thu May 16 23:45:30 CDT 2013

Dear Art Donnelly,
It's just an idea if I understood correctly! Below is the extracted content
of the artcile.
Do Duc Tuong - SNV Vietnam
================

A radical shift in engine technology in the 1970s (Honda’s CVCC)
drastically cut motor-vehicle emissions. A comparable game-changer could
solve an even bigger pollution problem today. Household air pollution from
the traditional biomass-burning stoves used in many developing countries is
the world’s largest environmental-health threat, leading to 4 million
premature deaths annually (S. S. Lim et al. Lancet 380, 2224–2260; 2012).

*We propose that a multimillion-dollar innovation prize should be set up*,
funded by governments or private philanthropy, to rapidly bring cleaner,
more efficient and affordable stoves to poor people.

The competition would attract the world’s best combustion scientists and
engineers, and would help to take the current efforts of non-governmental
organizations, small companies and academics to the next level (see S.
Anenberg et al. Nature 490, 343; 2012).

The prize would be awarded for a durable, low-emission biomass-combustion
unit — the ‘heart of the hearth’ — rather than for the stove itself. Stove
designs could then be adapted around this to meet local requirements.

Ambuj D. Sagar Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, India.
Kirk R. Smith University of California, Berkeley, USA.
krksmith at berkeley.eduafter