[Stoves] Char retort question

David G. LeVine dlevine at speakeasy.net
Thu May 30 23:30:27 CDT 2013

Let me start with "This is something I think I remember seeing."

Given a mass of biological matter (no, I don't care if it is twigs,
grass or tree stumps), put it in a horizontal 55 gallon drum with a band
clamped head and a pipe from the top of the head down and under the drum
with holes in the pipe which is parallel to the drum.  Once filled
(maybe not full either), a fire is started with scraps until the gasses
coming out of the pipe burn.  This means the heating becomes self
sustaining and the carbon is unlikely to be vaporized, but the gasses
driven off are used, not wasted.  Suddenly the pollution is reduced and
the efficiency goes up.

1. Does this ring a bell in anyone else's mind?

2. Does this sound like a viable approach?

Clearly destructive distillation works, the question is how much energy
is available and is needed to run the process.

Dave  8{)

advice."

Bill Cosby