[Stoves] Char retort question

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Fri May 31 09:58:08 CDT 2013

DD - A number of years ago I described a retort system  similar to this
based on small experiments I did with a 20 lb propane cylinder.  Like Yury,  in
my plans, I had three 100 lb propane cylinder retorts,  feeding a central
gas burner tube. The whole thing sat inside an insulated 275  gallon heating
oil tank. The whole thing pivoted to unload and rotate the chips  and sticks
used as feedstock. A small fire lit under the first cylinder got the  thing
started.  As the process finished, the kiln was rotated and each  cylinder
and dumped into a quenching can, then refilled in the upright  position.
Each kin had a pressure tight lid and the process would operate  under slight
pressure adding to the carbon output. Operated by one man, it  would
continuously produce char.

    I wanted to demonstrate it for Southern Ohio  farmers. They could turn
fence row and overgrown pasture burn off wood into  an industrial fuel. Ten
years ago nobody was excited about it because they had  downdraft
carbonizers. What did they need with retort char?

    Dan Dimiduk

    Owner: Carefree Landscape
    Founder: Shangri- La Research.

In a message dated 5/31/2013 4:39:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ajheggie at gmail.com writes:

[Default] On Fri, 31 May 2013 00:30:27 -0400,"David G.  LeVine"
<dlevine at speakeasy.net> wrote:

>Let me start with  "This is something I think I remember seeing."
>
>Given a mass of  biological matter (no, I don't care if it is twigs,
>grass or tree  stumps), put it in a horizontal 55 gallon drum with a band
>clamped  head and a pipe from the top of the head down and under the drum
>with  holes in the pipe which is parallel to the drum.  Once filled
>(maybe not full either), a fire is started with scraps until the  gasses
>coming out of the pipe burn.  This means the heating  becomes self
>sustaining and the carbon is unlikely to be vaporized,  but the gasses
>driven off are used, not wasted.  Suddenly the  pollution is reduced and
>the efficiency goes up.
>
>1.  Does this ring a bell in anyone else's mind?
>
>2. Does this sound  like a viable approach?

Yes it's the system originally developed by  Lurgi for coal pre WW2 and
has been revived many times, in England Robbie  Webster promoted it
about 10 years ago and I suspect the Adam Retort uses a  similar
feedback path. The limitation is the poor surface area through  which
the heat can pass, not a big problem with dry wood.

It is  viable but think of the timeline of how pyrolysis develops, the
offgas does  not evolve evenly and its calorific value changes during
the process, this  tends to mean most of the heat from the offgas is
happening after the main  charge is carbonised. Yury Yudkevitch
addressed this problem by having a  series of cylinder retorts feeding
a central offgas manifold which then  heated the "oven" space in which
the cylinders sat, removing cyclinc=ders  and replacing with fresh in a
batch  sequence.

AJH

to Send a Message to the list, use the email  address
stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org

to UNSUBSCRIBE or Change  your List Settings use the web  page
http://lists.bioenergylists.org/mailman/listinfo/stoves_lists.bioenergylists
.org

for  more Biomass Cooking Stoves,  News and Information see our web  site:
http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/