[Stoves] Ulaanbaatar Air Quality

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 14:31:01 CST 2013

Dear Crispin,

The Chinese honey combed briquettes are also made to be stacked in cook
stoves and heating stoves. The temperatures can reach 1200C. There doesn't
seem to be enough air on top of the burn so adding secondary air helped to
burn up the CO.

As you saw, the widespread use of coal has sustained the Chinese solid fuel
cook stove industry. I hear that there are more than 2,000 cook stove
manufacturers resulting in lots of factories with the ability to transition
to wood burning cook stoves. On the other hand, India doesn't have big
factories making solid fuel stoves so China is better placed to make a
transition.

Best,

Dean