[Stoves] In search for a stove model for the disaster in the Philippines

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 14:31:03 CST 2013

Dear All

Thanks to Erin for that list - very helpful.

Priante UTami, who is at YDD in Indonesia and how is a subscriber on this
list has a lot of info on SODIS. I am wondering if there is some web-based
material from YDD.

After a big storm there is always a lot of pretty dry construction timber
around, with rain on it. Efficiency is not a big issue because there is so
much, but getting it made quickly is.

Don't forget the Peko Pe which is easy to make and can to a certain extent
be refuelled easily. I believe there are some drawings on line (if someone
still has electricity).

The Midge is also a good gasifier made with simple tools, and can be made
out of scavanged cans. It's not overly safe but it's a good temporary
technology
http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/stovesdoc/midge/THE_COMPLETE_MIDGE.pdf

Japanese style cone kilns for biochar are also quick to assemble, and can be
used with tree branches, vines and other misc sources of wood. It helps to
have dry material, but this style of biochar maker is more tolerant of wet
material than the TLUD oven designs:
http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/Wilson-Cone-Kiln

Dr Reddy's Good Stove designs are also quick to assemble from cans and other
material that you may/may not have easy access to  http://www.goodstove.com/

There's also the SODIS method for pasteurizing drinking water. If you have 6
hours of sunlight, you can use a simple fabric filter to get water clear
enough and use a plastic bottle and some reflective metal to pasteurize it:
http://www.sodis.ch/methode/anwendung/index_EN

Keep in mind that the pasteurization temperature of water is lower than the
boiling temperature. If the initial water is clean enough, a lot of fuel can
be saved just by bringing it up to the right temperature.  Here's a link to
a chart for the temps at which most common pathogens can be killed:

http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Water_pasteurization

Kind regards,

Erin Rasmussen

Stoves Discussion List