[Stoves] In search for a stove model for the disaster inthe Philippines

Robert Taylor rt at ms1.hinet.net
Mon Nov 11 18:33:33 CST 2013

A niggling point: SODIS is NOT pasteurization. As far as I understand, it works largely by ultraviolet irradiation, along with a degree of temperature elevation well short of pasteurization temperatures. According to information (promoting pasteurization) that I have read online, it is less effective than pasteurization, which can also be achieved without fuel by using solar heating. However, SODIS is clearly far better than nothing, and it can be implemented straight away by the direct use of easily available equipment (plastic bottles and a bit of cloth).

Robert Taylor

  There's also the SODIS method for pasteurizing drinking water. If you have 6 hours of sunlight, you can use a simple fabric filter to get water clear enough and use a plastic bottle and some reflective metal to pasteurize it: http://www.sodis.ch/methode/anwendung/index_EN

  Keep in mind that the pasteurization temperature of water is lower than the boiling temperature. If the initial water is clean enough, a lot of fuel can be saved just by bringing it up to the right temperature.  Here's a link to a chart for the temps at which most common pathogens can be killed:

  http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Water_pasteurization

  Kind regards,

  Erin Rasmussen

  Stoves Discussion List