[Stoves] Cajun Rocket Pot Tested

Andreatta, Dale A. dandreatta at sealimited.com
Mon Nov 18 16:16:06 CST 2013

A few months ago we had a discussion of Cajun Rocket Pots, a series of pots with heat transfer fins on the bottom meant for cooking seafood in the Southern US.  Their claim was that their pots reduce fuel use by 50% and reduce time to boil considerably.  (The name “Rocket Pot” has nothing to do with the rocket stove.)  I gave the opinion that their design was excellent and that it would revolutionize our cookstove work.  All we had to do was test it on some stoves of the type we use and confirm that it works.

Alas, reality interfered.    I got one of their pots, the 8 quart size.  This is their smallest size and is appropriate for a 5 liter water boiling test.  The finned pot performed only marginally better than a regular pot of the same size, typically by about 10%.  Very disappointing.  It’s possible that for certain types of stoves with certain shapes of gas burners the pot really does perform well, but it did not perform particularly well on any of the stoves I tested.

I’ve attached a report with the test details of a finned and a regular pot being tested on 7 different stoves.  Some stoves gave better results than others, but the 10% improvement is a typical number.

Dale Andreatta