[Stoves] (no subject)

Marc-Antoine Pare marcpare0 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 23:25:41 CST 2013

Hi everyone,

I've just published an online tool for simple water boiling tests:

http://smallredtile.com/stove/wbt-buddy/

This is a sort of experiment, so let me know what you think.
Is it useful?
What would make it more useful?
Did I make any mistakes in the model?

I was driving at a few things with the experiment.
Is it possible to make the Water Boiling Test calculation simpler and
easier to follow?
Can we make the steps of the calculation more visible? (to help newcomers,
to help identify problems with the calculation)

I find that, even with an engineering background, the WBT Excel sheet is
not easy to use. The equation for finding thermal efficiency is buried in
one cell and looks like this:

=IF(W26=0,0,(4.186*SUM((W12-$N15)*(AA8-W8),(W13-$N16)*(AA9-W9),(W14-$N17)*(AA10-W10),(W15-$N18)*(AA11-W11))+2260*W27)/(W26*$E20))

Also, some of the steps of the calculation (moisture content, char energy
content) aren't necessary for many use-cases of the WBT. For example, if
I'm trying out a new design, all I want to know if the general range of
efficiency: 10-20%, 40-50%, etc. I think there may be some benefit to
emphasizing that the WBT is an *estimate*. Wasn't it originally designed as
a quick-and-dirty test for the field?

So, I simplified the engineering model, tried to build a user friendly
interface, and laid out the step of the calculation as clearly as I could.

I think that I'm going to build something for TLUDs next. So do send me any
suggestions for this right away, if you like.

marc