[Stoves] Efficiencies for the rich and poor.

Jock Gill jg45 at icloud.com
Fri Oct 4 07:11:17 CDT 2013

Ron,

I suggest that we have to have different Metrics for efficiency determined by what the goal is in a given local situation.

So, a rocket stove may be the most efficient way to boil water with less wood?  But terribly inefficient at making charcoal.

On the other hand, if harvesting charcoal is a principal goal, then a good TLUD is probably the most efficient way to do that.

Of course both technologies need to provide clean burning, low particulates, ease of use etc.

I would also set a goal for as close to zero soot on pots used for cooking, or boiling water as possible. Soot on pots is, as I understand it, an indicator of inefficient and incomplete use of the CO in the biogas produced by both combustion and pyrolysis.

Clearly, one set of metrics will NOT properly fit both combustion and pyrolytic solutions.  Isn't it time to agree that there are appropriate uses of both technologies, given local conditions and requirements, and that neither one is intrinsically "better" than the other?

It is a waste of time to get into pissing matches as to who has the "best" universal solution.  There's simply isn't one.

Cheers,

Jock

Jock Gill
P.O. Box 3G