[Stoves] The time-temperature-turbulence equation

Jock Gill jg45 at icloud.com
Sat Oct 5 08:39:08 CDT 2013

Cripin,

Well lights off, where off is as in explode ;-)

You write: The point is to get turbulence while not shortening the residence time 'at temperature'.

I expect my three "deflectors" do a couple of things:

1. Increase residence time - some bouncing back and forth between the deflectors and the fuel bed?

2. Create an exhaust port for the burning gases that is, from the point of view of geometry, about as far away from a round hole drain for water as can be.

What you write about round holes for combustion gas escape probably also applies to secondary air ports as well.  Round holes, and other holes with crisp edges,  appear not to work as well as secondary air through a slot.  Altho I have had good success with secondary air supplied by three large triangular apertures at 45 degrees with the bottom flap folded in to create a simple vortex generator.  Having three equally space secondary air ports also appears to increase turbulence as they create a more destabilizing air flow.  Asymmetry appears to be a major advantage in both secondary air supply well as the exhaust port used by the combustion gases.

Cheers,

Jock

Jock Gill
P.O. Box 3