[Stoves] Water heating with TLUDs

Frank Shields franke at cruzio.com
Sat Oct 5 13:51:09 CDT 2013

Lanny and stovers,

I am wondering if your idea of a stove "that will hold water hot for a
long period with the ability to throw in a few chunks of wood in every
hour or so to maintain the heat" could somehow be designed to distill
(condense) salty-dirty water into clean water? Like solar stills it
doesn't need to boil, just a temperature difference. How could that be
made? Secondary heating a constantly moving water that flows over a cool
surface then back to be reheated? Seems better to get small quantities
of clean water this way than boiling. World is 3/4th salty water and
with glaciers melting we are on the brink to have great water shortages
unless there is a way to use salty or reuse waste water. And you have
designed some amazing things. Perhaps biochar used as a polishing filter
as I have tested some that would do a good job removing some metals,
ammonia and some organics.

Just in case you run out of ideas. : )

Regards

Frank

frank at biocharlab.com

5 or 10 liters is not enough water for a bath, laundry, kitchen clean
up and hot tea for a family. I am thinking a stove that will heat a 20
liter pot would be more practical. A 40 quart would be even better but
would probably be out of the price range.

And I wonder if a TLUD is the best stove for a water heater. Aren't they
one shot and then you have to reload. How about a stove that will hold
water hot for a long period with the ability to throw in a few chunks of
wood in every hour or so to maintain the heat.

And dispensing is an issue to consider, probably just dipping will be
most practical.

Lanny