[Stoves] Water Boiling Test 4.2.2

Lanny Henson lannych at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 7 06:57:35 CDT 2013

Water Boiling Test 4.2.2

I am learning to use the new WBT 4.2.2 thanks to Jim and Crispin.

First my stove will burn the char so I am counting it for the efficiency.

I see an issue with the WBT 4.2.2 that may only apply to my stove.

That is how to calculate the energy value of wood left over in a batch after a boiling test.

There is a cell in the spreadsheet for the left over char but not for the left over wood.

The reason for calculating the left over wood from the batch is it will have a different moisture content.

I have been doing  boiling test without simmering because my prototype does not have the “retained heat” capabilities the next prototype will have retained heat capabilities so I am only doing water boiling test with the first prototype.

My “no  grate” stove does not have a bottom so as soon as the water boils I lift up the stove and cap the remaining fuel. The remaining wood and char is extinguished in 15 min. Then I weigh what is left.

>From my last test I had 116 gr of char and 152 gr of partially charred wood. Most of the wood still looks like wood and it is not torrified but I am sure it has a different moisture content.

So how does one calculate the remaining  wood with different moisture content.

My stove may be the only one that will “save wood” so it may not be practical to change the WBT 4.2.2 just for me so I could do a calculation and add it to the (equivalent dry wood consumed) cell on the spreadsheet.

I did not think to dry the remaining wood to get the moisture content but I will next test.