[Stoves] Shields E450c as a way to test char-making stoves (attn: GACC testers)

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sat Oct 19 13:02:34 CDT 2013

Crispin, list, and ccs  (adding Jim Jetter and Frank)

   1.  I have to apologize to Frank Shields if Crispin is correct on Frank's motivation in paragraph 1.  I was confused by an early statement by Frank that one didn't need to measure the weight of produced char.  This is to ask Frank to clarify.  Did he mean not measure the energy content?

   2.  Crispin seems to be implying again here that stove test results that report char produced (weight and its energy content) is fundamentally illogical/improper/unscientific.  Jim Jetter is reporting char-pertinent numbers and I am happy with the present reporting by Jim.   I ask Crispin (again) what he would report for a stove intentionally designed to produce char.

   3.  In the 5th paragraph, we see "….'50% fuel saving' under the old method".  My understanding is that this is both the old and the present method - and I might argue it undervalues the production of char - not overvalues.  My reasoning has been to ask Jim about inefficiencies.  I believe that Jim agrees that you don't get the right inefficiency answer by subtracting the 50% from 100% when analyzing a char-making stove.
      For those new to this, the 50% comes from a formula of the form  A/(B-C).  I think that there is merit to the formula (A+C)/B, which gives almost the same result when C  (char energy) is small, but gets wildly further apart when C is large (as in char-making stoves).  A is energy to the pot, B is the input energy.  This A/(B-C) formula has been around for a long time.  I think it offers some comparison value, but I prefer the (A+B)/C version - which is easy to obtain from Jim's data, although not specifically given.  My perception (correct?) is that Crispin doesn't want B to be provided.
      The whole argument here is about how one handles "apples" and "oranges".  I think the jury is still out - but not on whether both numbers are important to some people.

  4.  I see nothing below to help me in reporting on char-making stoves.  I believe that Crispin wants all char to be considered uninteresting (illogical/improper/unscientific) when he says in Paragraph 4  (highlighted below)
> "Where a char making stove, or any other stove that produces char or other bits of fuel remaining which it cannot burn as fuel, that remaining fuel is not to be considered ‘unburned fuel’. It is considered ‘consumed’ even if not ‘burned’."
     Jim Jetter is already producing this number.  He is also giving other efficiency numbers that I support.

  5.  But there is a portion of the population using Jim's data that think Crispin is not understanding the important potential use of char as biochar.  We are not understanding Crispin wanting to use the word "consumed" when it wasn't.   This is to again ask Crispin whether there is any number that Jim can report (that he is not already doing) that would accurately tell char-interested users of his data about stove differences as to their char-producing capabilities?

Ron