[Stoves] Fw: Shields E450c as a way to test char-making stoves(attn: GACC testers)

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 16:09:09 CDT 2013

Dear Paul

How to we ensure the 'energy efficiency' number is not misused as a 'fuel
consumption' number? Historically the energy number has been turned into a
'dry fuel equivalent' and many people think that means the dry mass of fuel
consumed to perform the test.

This is a serious matter. Perhaps we should agree on some definitions that
are clear an hard to misuse or misunderstand.

Thanks
Crispin

++++++++

Kevin,

When ALL of the fuel is consumed, then the fuel usage has a known energy
usage.   No need to do additional calculations.

And as Crispin and others have pointed out, efficiency is measured in energy
units, not in kg of wood or liters of liquid fuels.

Simply report efficiencies in terms of both fuel usage and energy usage for
all stoves.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu <mailto:psanders at ilstu.edu>
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com <http://www.drtlud.com>