[Stoves] Shields E450c as a way totest char-making stoves(attn: GACC testers)

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 25 10:34:38 CDT 2013

Dear Kevin, and info to all Stovers

I am tired of the banter back and forth, but something you wrote really
needs to be pointed out to show that you do not really understand about
charcoal making in TLUD stoves and others that make a relatively high
percentage of char.

Kevin wrote:
> *Recovery of char from ash is a dirty, unpleasant job, and only
> desperate people would recover char from ash for re-burning. *

Well, the truth is that char from TLUDs actually holds virtually all of
the ash in the char particles (as is done in the traditional making of
charcoal also).  There is no need to separate char from ash, and it
cannot be done without burning the char.   The char can be burned
immediately (that is, not extinguished) in a charcoal stove, or can be
extinguished for saving for later burning or for placement into soil as
biochar.

And if the percentage of ash needs to be calculated (once ever 100 tests
maybe??), it can be easily and cleanly done be separately burning the
char to recover the ash that was in it.

I am not arguing a point.   I am stating a fact.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com