[Stoves] Biochar retort

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 21:03:41 CDT 2013

Dear Alex E

I think you should make a comment here. And perhaps pass along some of the
photos of Canadians burning gigantic things on farms.

Mike, Alex English has tried more things that most people imagine.

I am looking to build a GIANT retort.  I have an unlimited supply of
compressed wheat straw bales (approx. 500,000lbs per yr).  They measure
4'x5'x3' and weigh about 400lbs each.  I am wanting to build a retort large
enough to hold anywhere from 1 to 10 of these bales, probably horizontally.
My question is will these bales fully pyrolyze "as is" with perhaps a few
inches of airflow on all sides and between bales inside the retort?

Thank you,

Mike