[Stoves] FW: Solar Dryer in Wings

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Thu Sep 5 18:06:38 CDT 2013

Michael , Joshua,

One good way to dry them at least after a day or so such that they can be handled,  is to put them around the fire/cookstove-- not flat on the ground but inclined or on a screen or slats or rocks such that you can assure adequate air flow--from beneath the briquettes - generally ≥25mm above ground.

If you are using aromatic plants in the residues (eg; eucalyptus, pine, cedar and or  fragrant plant residues), these aromas are emitted into the room during the drying process to an often really beneficial effect: Eucalyptus leaf blends drive off mosquitoes;  the neem leaf clears conjestion, cedar provides a  nice ambiance  and so on..
I ccy this to a  briquette project manager in Guatemala and trainer producer teams in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda for their own comments as drying during the rainy season is an issue with all of them too.

Richard Stanley