[Stoves] Charcoal stove design

Harold Annegarn hannegarn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 15:31:46 CDT 2013

Dear Crispin

Go to bed as promised.
Please do not dig yourself deeper into the 97% H2:Co hole until
instruimental interference has been ruled out.

Good night

On 17 September 2013 21:43, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Frank****
>
> ** **
>
> >Charcoal largely burns C > CO2 and converts some of it back to CO in the
> hot zone above the hot coals. *[Frank >] *Above the hot coals or in the
> hot coals? To convert back from CO2 > CO we need more carbon. ****
>
> ** **
>
> I found that directly above the middle of a good stove (under the pot)
> there is zero CO – I was amazed. But nearer the edges there is more.****
>
> ** **
>
> >If the excess air level is high it can create a lot of CO directly and
> not burn it. *[Frank >] *Is it because the gas is too cool? Molecules are
> spread too far apart to continue the complete combustion? Not enough
> hydrogen to aid in supporting continued complete combustion? ****
>
> ** **
>
> All the above. Well done.****
>
> ** **
>
> * [Frank >] I find the hydrogen is less than one percent in char. But
> moisture can increase the hydrogen is not tested directly after drying.
> Wonder if this water hydrogen is any help in these small stoves?***
>
> * *
>
> Well that is the question of the hour – where does all the H2 come from?**
> **
>
> ** **
>
> I checked a number of other tests and the correlation coefficient between
> CO and H2 varies a great deal. The 97.7% was interesting of course, but
> some are negative and some are 50%.  I don’t think this is an instrument
> issue, it represents different combustion conditions, largely.****
>
> ** **
>
> Regards****
>
> Crispin near the Forbidden City****

Harold Annegarn
Department of Geography Environmental Management and Energy Studies
University of Johannesburg
Mobile +27 (0)83 628 4210
Fax +27 11 559 2430
Office +27 11 559 3927