[Stoves] Charcoal stove design

Frank Shields frank at compostlab.com
Wed Sep 18 14:44:08 CDT 2013

Dear Crispin and Saastamoinen,

With the GEK I work with I have control of the air and a good long bed of
char to work with. But what is the goal of these small household stoves?
Perhaps with natural draft? I would think a surface reaction where the C >
CO > CO2 all at the surface below the pot. No real secondary and all the
heat produced close to the same location. I would think that would require a
narrow blast of air.

Suggestion: Take a section of plastic pipe that holds about 4 Liters. Cap
the top and bottom. The bottom cap has a ½” pipe fitted with a ball valve.
The top cap has a ½” pipe coming out. That top pipe is connected to flex
tubing and that connected to a stainless tube to draw in gas. Open the ball
valve and set 4L pipe in a water bath such that water enters and fills large
pipe. Close valve and remove from water bath. Place the stainless tube at
exact location you want to sample the gas (say under the pot). Open the ball
valve to let the water drain and gas is drawn into the large pipe. The rate
and volume is the same as the water draining. Leave a couple inches of water
in the large pipe and close the ball valve. Shake to mix the gases. Place
large pipe into the water bath, open the valve, so water filling and the
stove gas exits the top where you can measure it using your tester. You
might add a small amount of acid to the water to keep the CO2 from
dissolving. Or add a known amount of NaOH to capture the CO2 (CO?) for
analysis leaving the other gases for the tester.  With this setup a lot of
the variables are controlled like air flow and temperature. You get an
average or set your tester just below the input to get real time.

Regards

Frank

Frank Shields

Control Laboratories; Inc.