[Stoves] A doctoral thesis on stoves

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Fri Sep 20 17:40:47 CDT 2013

fyi,
These twisted straps look very much like a water diffuser vanes on the impulse pump of a one Victor Schauberger     http://schauberger.co.uk/home.html
but that is as far off topic as can be..
Richard
On Sep 20, 2013, at 1:57 PM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott wrote:

Dear Paul

Before rushing to put in the TT’s be aware that such devices in the actual flame will impede combustion quite a bit, producing a lot of soot (clinging to it).

If the carbon falls into the fire and burns, that might be OK. If, strictly speaking, the purpose is turbulence, it could as well be created with secondary air jets and the soot avoided. Everyone should try it to see the effects.

Because we do not know the gas composition from the stove, it is hard to know what the overall effect of the TTs was on combustion efficiency. This is the sort of effect that is hard to guess.

Frank,

see below

Surprised to see twisted tape adding efficiency as I would think that would just remove heat that was on its way to the pot.
They twisted tape (TT) is quite small and will be up to full temperature quite quickly.   After that, they to not remove any more heat.   But the added turbulence continues.   And seems to have substantial impact.

The test of the TT could easily be done in the Rocket stoves that have been tested so many times.   Does 1 or more TT have impact there?

TT is one of several major designs for turbulence.   Looks like an important topic for more study (and does not require fancy expensive equipment.