[Stoves] Recorded EPA webinar and files posted/ wood size

Lanny Henson lannych at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 22 20:39:20 CDT 2013

I would like to see wood at least 15 cm/6 inches long being used in future
test.

I noticed the size of the wood In the test is 2 x 2 and  2-7.63 cm long.
That translates to about ¾" x ¾" and  ¾" to 3" long, for my fellow
"meterphobics" (unnatural fear of the metric system)

7.63 cm is very small wood and It takes a lot of work to cut wood down to
that size. It is not the diameter that is a problem because wood is easily
split to smaller diameters but the length of  ¾' to 3" is a problem because
the cross cut is more difficult.

I have seen comments that users do not like to cut wood down to small pieces
so I wonder how practical a household size stove is going to be unless it is
flexible enough to burn larger size wood.

Even 15 cm may be too short for some end users. If I am wrong about the
small wood problem please let me know.

The problem with designing a  batch-fueled stove that will burn 6" long
wood, is that it is more of a  challenge than a stove that will only burn
wood  3" long,  because the size of the burner needs to be different. Wood
needs to lay horizontally with the grain when being burned in a batch,
because wood does not burn well standing on the end.  It reacts all at once
and the burn is not steady and continuous, like it is when the pieces are
laying horizontally. Laying horizontally and top lit the pieces burn a few
at time as the flame burns down through the fuel bed in more steady way,
with less heat spikes and dips.  The taller the stack the better for the
same reason.

I am working on a burner that will hold 1Kg of 6" long wood. It is oval to
hold the longer pieces but narrow so the wood will make a taller stack. It
burns the wood from both ends and there is no grate or even a bottom to the
stove. This is very handy for saving the charcoal, just lift the stove off
and lay a cap over the pile of charcoal on the ground to extinguish it. When
I am able to walk again I will take some photos
Lanny