[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 04:17:53 CDT 2013

Dear Lanny

It is unusual to find a pot that is taller than it is in diameter. I can't
think of one in common use by ordinary people.

But a soblok (rice steamer) is about 'square'. If you are familiar with
engine stroke and bore, the common pots are 'oversquare'.

The implications are two: they are not all that tall, and the water sloshes
to the side and over the lip with relatively greater ease per unit volume
(per degree of tilt).

The question of safety includes the pot supports and how spread out they
are. A large diameter pot on a small support circle is dangerous. On 3
instead of 4 supports is more dangerous again.

That is what I want to see tested. There are numbers that can be applied
because the centre of gravity (CG) dominates the safe angle of tilt.

That is what I was thinking, I had already started typing a note.  I think
the hazard of a bump and spill or splash is more likely than a tip over. A
bump Like someone falling against the stove could dislodge the pot but not
tip over the stove. The pot holders, the shape of the cook top and the foot
print could affect the bump/spill/splash hazard.

I am thinking that the height with a pot of 2 to 2.5  times the width of the
base would be safe but 3 or 4 times would be getting dangerous.

This is for household size stoves, with larger stoves, you are less likely
to have a force large enough to affect the stove.