[Stoves] Stove tipping: Stoves Digest, Vol 37, Issue 28

Nathan Johnson NathanJohnson at asu.edu
Thu Sep 26 13:43:15 CDT 2013

Hi Lanny,

Fuel can increase the ease of stove tipping if the fuel exerts a downward force near the outside of the stove (e.g., wood placed in horizontally that "hangs" out the side of the stove, or wood placed in vertically that leans to the side rather than remaining upright).

Erin commented that a grate is commonly used to hold wood off the ground and enter the chamber more directly. Although the primary purpose of the grate is to improve combustion and increase ease of use, a secondary affect of the grate stove stabilization.

The act of loading fuel may cause a stove to tip in a variety of ways--removing the pot, placing fuel into loading area, pushing fuel into the combustion chamber, removing ash, placing the pot back onto the stove, etc.

Best regards,
Nate

--
Nathan Johnson