[Stoves] Cooking in Kampala

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 20:30:09 CDT 2013

Dear Evan

The main principle is that there should be enough draft to light the fire
rapidly. The lighting cone provides this if it is about 500mm tall.

The second principle is that the bottom of the cone should sort of cover the
lighting fuels so that most air is pulled from below, not from the side.

The third principle is that if there is a secondary air supply at of just
below the top of the fuel, the bottom of the cone should bypass it so that
the heat inside the cone is not used to pull air through the secondary air
ports. Very few stoves have a secondary air controller.

Here are stoves with a secondary air supply that should be bypassed when
igniting:

Here is the ignition

This is the result (with a good fit). You can just see on the left that it
bypasses the secondary and draws all air from below, through the fuel – in
this case charcoal. Peter Coughlin reports it reduces the charcoal ignition
time by more than ½. We will quantify the smoke reduction and GERES way
independently confirm it at some point – it is about 90%.

Lighting a traditional Keren Stove in Java

Lighting damp wood in Sumba Island (3-stone fire). The speed of ignition and
reduction in smoke was dramatic. You can just see the hot air distortion of
the picture above the cone – basically no smoke. It is quite a bit cleaner
than the fire when lit and the cone removed.

This cone is 125 x 75 x 500 h. The cones get very hot. Make the handle as
above.

Crispin,

Just a question regarding the lighting cone; I suppose this is open at the
top (the smaller-diameter end)? I'm not familiar with the stove you
mentioned, but if this lighting cone is 12.5 cm diameter, what is the top
diameter of the stove? Should it cover the entire fuel-packed surface area
or not, and what is the rationale for this?

-Evan Marks