[Stoves] TLUD Syngas Flame and the Red-Hot Chimney in a Kerosene Heater.

Crispin Pembert-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Apr 8 01:17:35 CDT 2014

Dear Julien

That heater is approved for sale in South Africa, which means it passed SANS
1906 (which covers stoves, heaters and lanterns). There is one
sub-sub-paragraph of the standard which is not compulsory (enforced), and it
relates to that particular device. There was a disagreement over how to word
the general requirement it must be impossible for a burner to be refuelled
while the flame is present. It turned out to be very difficult to rule
refilling out, while ruling that product's combusting mechanism in. So that
paragraph is in the Standard, but not compulsory, meaning it is specifically
stated not to be.

It is an interesting example of how Standards are written and enforced.  The
product meets the Japanese Standard for space heaters which have to be
earthquake-proof.

I see a message just came in from Prof Lloyd. We both worked on this
Standard for several years. That explains why he knows quite well how it
works.

Hello stovers;

I took my  Kero-Sun Radiant 10 apart.  There are some photographs of the
inner and outer chimneys in the attached pdf.

The inner chimney as baffles at the bottom and is enclosed, with
perforations at the top.

For sport, I put the inner chimney, and then the inner chimney nested in the
outer chimney on top of a 7.5 cm diameter natural draft TLUD.  As we might
expect, it created resistance to exhaust gas flow, that reduced the
secondary uptake, and caused the TLUD to emit a small amount of visible
smoke.   I did this in daylight, so I don't know if any of the chimney
assembly became red hot.

In order to investigate this properly, I would have to destroy the chimneys
by breaking off the baffles, and expanding the diameter of the perforations
in the chimney walls --- and I am not prepared to do that.  What is needed
is to find a kerosene heater wreckers yard to scavenge bits.

Thus, it is still an open question (for me anyway) if something like the
chimneys in kerosene heaters, or a type of catalytic converter, can reduce
soot production from natural draft TLUDs.

Cheers,

Julien

--

Julien Winter