[Stoves] Bachelor thesis on cook stoves

Stefan Ekström steeks at kth.se
Mon Apr 14 10:44:12 CDT 2014

Hi all,
I'm a student from the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden.
Currently a friend and I are in Nairobi, Kenya to write our bachelor thesis
about cook stoves. We chose this because it's a really interesting subject
that seems to have a great impact on human lives. Since the scope of our
work isn't huge we've limited ourselves to just look on existing wood
stoves and their efficiencies. We're comparing both fan and natural draft
rocket and gasifier stoves to each other.

The work will only cover the combustion process and how to design a stove
to be the most efficient in terms of using the least wood (we're not
looking at emissions). Our plan is to put together existing literature and
compare their WBT results.
I came across this network and you really seem to like group of people that
has the right information for us.

I'm wondering if you think this is a reasonable approach to the matter, if
you maybe know somewhere I can find data from WBTs or just have any general
thoughts. I've already seen James Jetter, Yongxin Zhao and Kirk R. Smith's
work *Pollutant Emissions and Energy Efficiency under Controlled Conditions
for Household Biomass Cookstoves and Implications for Metrics Useful in
Setting International Test* and PCIA's *Test Results of Cook Stove
Performance*. We've haven't found any data on fan draft rocket stoves and
the only fan draft gasifier is on the Philips stove.

We'd be happy for any feedback we can get!
Thank you all very much,
Stefan Ekström