[Stoves] Char from coir Re: Biochar Inquiry

Richard Stanley rstanley at legacyfound.org
Tue Apr 15 09:59:26 CDT 2014

Michael:  Busting up coconut shell to my experience, takes some heavy duty machinery whether  hand driven or not.
Our TMC thresher masher s chopper that emerged with help of the Uganda Industrial research institute would do it but its heavy 75kgs all steel ad requires some pretty close tolerances fine for managed use by techn savvy folk, but not good for just putting in a village setting, un managed by such.

Our mini TMC (developed for use here in Central America)is less technically sensitive, more manageable in the field with less skills and lighter at 25 kegs but it is not
designed to handle coconut husks.

would not.

Otherwise I'd just get ahold of a 5hp hammer mill with a 10 - 12 mm screen hole size. If you can get one with a  chinese diesel or its old lister precursor, it'll run on used /waste veggie/cooking oil all day long.

Richard