[Stoves] Leftover alcohol.......was Re: Char from coir Re: Biochar Inquiry

Crispin Pembert-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Apr 16 12:15:01 CDT 2014

Dear Paul

I was contacted by Simunye looking for a way to turn these alcohols into
some form of a useful product. As I recall there were 112 types of '-ol'. I
did not realise there were so many different ways to connect an OH to a
carbon construct.

So methanol and ethanol are two of them, and there are a huge number of
others that are formed during fermentation. I think perhaps Prof Lloyd is
the right person to make a comment on what they are and (perhaps) how
dangerous they are as domestic fuels.

All it means from a practical point of view is they have difference boiling
points so they are separated from the main products.

Crispin,

Please provide more info (or links) about the LEFTOVER alcohols from ethanol
refining.