[Stoves] PRE-processing of husks and shells of coconuts to be fuel ..... was Re: Char from coir Re: Biochar Inquiry

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 18 17:07:10 CDT 2014

Thank you, Michael, for your insightful coments (below).   Here are some
thoughts in response:

1.  I focus on places where husks and shell accumulate.   What is
processed is wonderful.   May it continue and prosper.   But there are
piles (I have been assured) in many places.

2.  I am envisioning piles of husks (skin, pith, and coir), some with
shell still attached.   Perhaps in shape of about 1/3rd to 1/5th of the
whole coconut.   Some might still be intact.   A pile in the sun.
could be spread out for sun-drying.   A bit of dirt or sand does not matter.

3.  If the shell is actually separate (because of prior processing), it
is an issue of smashing tough semi-spherical pieces of shell.  SMASH
without much concern about some of the pieces becoming too small should
NOT be of much concern.   Allow for some waste of "too small" pieces.
Lift a substantial weight and let it fall requires effort,but I suspect
that someone can make some suggestions that yield a net gain because the
shell is SOOOOO good as a TLUD fuel.   Like pellets in some ways.   And
pellets require substantial energy to be made.

4.  Mainly about the husk pieces (but possibly related to shell also), I
want to suggest and discuss the drying and even the partial (maybe
full??) torrification of that biomass.   After all, WASTE heat is one of
the abundant leftovers of burning pyrolytic gases created when making
char/biochar.   So, TOAST the stuff!!! Really, that is more of a
question than a statement.

5.  What do we know about the torrification of husks (and of shells) of
coconuts?   Can somebody find out, please?   First requirement is  that
you need some husks (and shells)   (sorry, I do not have any).   After
that, put heat to it any way you want to.   If torrified husk (or shell)
can be then appropriately sized for use in TLUDs or any other combustion
device, that would be progress.

Comments (and maybe results?) are requested.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com