[Stoves] CO concentraion in air as a proxy for CO in the blood

rbtvl at aol.com rbtvl at aol.com
Mon Apr 28 18:18:07 CDT 2014

We use average CO in the air that is being breathed, as a proxy for CO level in the blood.  CO causes what is effectively anemia.   It can do damage while present.   It can cause low birth weight, for example, if the pregnant woman is in high CO concentrations for significant time of pregnancy.  Once the CO is gone, the person is no longer effectively anemic, once new red cells are produced, but the damage of chronic anemia can be permanent.   It must be known in medical circles, for example, how chronic anemia of a pregnant women affects the baby, regardless of the cause of the anemia.

In Maasai land, we measure CO in the air of improved and unimproved houses. And we use portable CO monitors attached to children compared to those mounted in the home to determine the relationship of children's actual exposure to the average in the home.   We are not in position to take blood and analyze it.   But since we have 100% sustained adoption of our air-improving stove, and no "stove stacking", we are hopeful some medical researchers who could study the blood might want to come and work with us.

bob lange
Maasai Stoves and Solar
+1 508 735 9176