[Stoves] blood analysis as heath impact certification for "clean" stoves

Crispin Pembert-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Apr 29 22:19:12 CDT 2014

Dear Carolina

Thanks.

I also wondered if the children hyperventilate more easily as they heat more quickly as a result of having a higher surface area to volume ratio. It may be that the children are not more efficient at picking up CO ‘per litre’ of air breathed or per breath, but that they overheat more quickly and therefore hyperventilate sooner, resulting in their reaching equilibrium in a correspondingly shorter time.

Very interesting subject.

Yes they do.

In the case of traditional sauna, as was the case of measurements, it is particularly intoxicating. It can be compared to a gas chamber. Even the symptoms of poisoning are considered normal or what to feel. (perception of risk). Even in the time I worked there for some cases were fatal.

Carolina

Dear B.C.

 Do you think that the children and adults, remembering that the children have 1/3 the exposure time, both reached CO equilibrium by the time they were measured?

 If so the results indicate that the absorption by children is much faster, but that it may not result in higher levels in the bloodstream.

 If this is the case, it is an important aspect of the toxicology. At some point the CO will equilibrate – I am just wondering if we can assert that it happens in 1/3 the time, children v.s adults, the ultimate level being determined by the available ‘supply’.

 Thanks