[Stoves] Request for help on TLUD operating data

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Aug 13 17:41:00 CDT 2014

Dear Ron

I happen to have some reasonably accurate mass change data sets that could provide grist for that particular mill. Your question really has two parts: how a stove design alters‎ the mass loss rate, and what happens at the end, or the trend, as it varies away from a straight line.

There is a moisture factor involved. It absorbs heat reducing the pyrolysation rate only so long as it is present so at the end there is a puff of rapid devolatilisation from the 'last bit' of fuel after it dries.

Unless the stove had a very high superficial velocity a char making or burning stove would still exhibit the curve up to the point at which char burning commences. Are you OK with working from the initial part of the curve? The performance should be 'characteristic'.

The mass loss curve could be moisture compensated quite easily.

BBM 2B990AFA