[Stoves] Request for help on TLUD operating data

Saastamoinen Jaakko Jaakko.Saastamoinen at vtt.fi
Mon Aug 18 11:06:11 CDT 2014

Dear Ron,

my previous postings considered forced primary air condition. The air rate was kept constant with a fan. The velocity of the ignition front depends on the primary air rate also in the case of natural draught, but then the air rate is not given and it does not remain constant but depends on the balance equation

draught = pressure losses (including inlet to the  device, fuel bed and outlet)

A similar situation is when one heats a home with a stove. I have district heating but use sometimes also a masonry stove.  The draught  =  gravity * chimney height * density difference. The density difference  =density of air outdoors minus density of air (averagely )in the chimney. When one ignites the wood logs in a stove, the draught is initially quite low, because the chimney is cool. One can increase the draught by burning some paper in the chimney. One can decrease the pressure loss by opening the damper of the stove and the windows of the building. Then after some time the chimney gets hotter and draught becomes good and one can adjust proper air rate by the damper.

In TLUD (with natural draught) the draught and the pressure losses (thickness of the non-ignited fuel bed and the thickness of the char layer) change with time (but they are equal according to the above equation). So the air rate changes with time. In principle it is possible to solve the air rate (or air velocity through the bed) from the above balance equation in dynamic conditions (as function of time), because the pressure loss is proportional  ~ air velocity ^2 or more precisely from a developed equation for a bed of particles ( Ergun's equation, 1952). In practice it is difficult, because the situation is transient heating and the draught in TLUD is also changing (in analogy with initially cool chimney). It has been noticed that the pressure losses are higher for moist fuel bed due to drying so drying of fuel in sunshine before combustion is beneficial to get lower pressure losses.  In the case of TLUD, the hot char layer gives also some draught because the gas is hotter in this layer than ambient air and gas density is lower (than ambient)  but it causes also some additional pressure loss. Then, if no damper is applied along the burning, the air rate (and the burning rate) will evidently increase during the burning (thickness of cool bed decreases and draught increases) and the ignition front velocity changes. The ignition front velocity may be low at first, then reach a maximum and then again could become lower if the air rate becomes high over the maximum situation (discussed in previous post). However, in this case quenching with too high air rate is not likely to take place, because if the temperature begins to drop, then also air velocity decreases. This balances the air rate to a certain level.

So in the case of natural draught, the construction of the device and especially how the draught is obtained, determines the operation. I use wood chips, pellets, small branches, wood blocks and pine needles in the  TLUD (developed by Tom Reed) which has a small blower. All these fuels burn well, but is difficult to use a broad range of fuel types in a natural draught device. The operation of TLUD with natural draught depends much on its construction and fuel type and it is difficult to develop any general theory or model unlike to a forced flow TLUD. It could be possible to simulate the operation numerically with theories of combustion and heat transfer (including combustion of fuel bed, transient heating of different parts of the device etc.), but the calculations would be device-dependent, quite cumbersome and probably not very accurate and reliable so that experiments would be required for a specific stove construction.

Some cheat device (fan) to replace the natural draught with a forced flow would be a major step to develop efficient cooking devices. Somebody should invent a cheap fan that uses for example gravity to rotate the fan like in a clock using heavy weights. If high enough air rate is reached, it is then easy to use a damper to control the air rate suitably and get efficient burning.

Jaakko