[Stoves] Tinsmith business models

Nolbert Muhumuza muhumuza at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 07:52:03 CDT 2014

Dear James and Otto,

I know most of the stoves produced in East Africa are really done by local
tinsmiths. Sorry that they do not mention/ even identify themselves as so
(Awamu Biomass Energy inclusive).
I think a Google search might not really capture the true picture/ value of
tinsmiths in the sector. Awamu for example prefers keywords like Clean
energy, Renewable energy, improved cookstoves etc BUT we actually have
local young boys and girls producing stoves hundreds of gasifier stoves
each year...

Nolbert.

>   James,
>
> I am not surprised over Your discovery and lack of formal information on
> this topic, because "most" people think BIG.
> And People whom think BIG, do not like to share their knowledge.
>
> What seems to be forgotten, that most sucessfull ventures started in a
> small scale, like IKEA, and they still use local manufatures of a certain
> scale to produce most items for their shopping mals.
>
> There are various models to bring the local artians involved in production
> of stoves, like a supply chain of proper materials, prefabricated flatpacks
> and more industrilized small scale production using simple handtools to a
> bit more advanced machinery.
> Just use Your imagination.
>
> I prefer 1000 millionaires apart from one (1) billionar.
>
> Employment is very much needed all over the planet and especially for
> young people age 15 to 30.
>
> Just go ahead and create opportunities and employment for local artisans
> and street vendors.
>
> Otto
>

> ------------------------------
> Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 10:49:31 +0200
> From: jamesrobinson77 at gmail.com
> To: stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org
> Subject: [Stoves] Tinsmith business models
>

> Dear list,
>
> I'm looking for more information on tinsmith business models, value chains
> and capacity building - and am surprised to find very little formal
> information on the topic, especially given the role they play in stove
> production in most areas.
>
> I've found Toyola in Ghana, a little on Mwoto in Uganda and an analysis by
> GIZ/Cecil Cook in Zambia but am still looking for more information - any
> ideas please?
>
> When I'm done all information will be fed back to the list/website.
>
> Cheers
> James Robinson
> Malawi

> for more Biomass Cooking Stoves, News and Information see our web site:

Nolbert Muhumuza
President & Chief Operations Officer

*Awamu Biomass Energy Ltd.*
P.O. Box 40127, Nakawa