[Stoves] 答复: Two problems regarding WHO Guidelines ....was Re: A "Cut and Paste" Summary of the 2014 WHO Guidelines

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Dec 8 15:21:13 CST 2014

Dear Randdy

>It is not common in China to use a stove without chimney. Chimney is a natural part of the stove.

This is certainly the case in many of the ‘cold’ Asian countries, basically everything North and West of China.

>Even the chimney protected the indoor air quality, it can not help the out door air if the stove burn

appropriately.

That is the major problem in Ulaanbaatar where the largest single contributor was rooted in poor domestic coal stove combustion. This has now been addressed with a large and rapidly executed program with numerous contributors. At present, the stove emissions count for less than ½ of city air pollution which is an amazing achievement in two years.

>The chimney helps the stove burning.

A chimney is a fan that does not need power.

>It is not popular in China rural area to use woodchips or pellets. However, pressed biomass fuels would have bigger market in rural area when farmers are moving into central small towns, which happens quite fast in some rural areas in China.

I expect wood to become a “processed fuel”. At the moment seems to be a lot of emphasis on ‘processed fuel’ which burn more predictably than (solid) raw fuels.  This is not a big surprise. Pellets are just processed fuel that is a lot cheaper to distribute and sell in small quantities informally that gaseous or liquid fuels. Once solid fuels get the ‘same respect’ as liquids and gases, they will probably out-perform them on system efficiency and economics. China is definitely leading in the pellet explorations. It might be good to post the annual reports of pellet researchers here at the stoves list from time to time. They are doing many investigations which would help us think about the opportunities.

>So the biomass stove study in China has two directions: (1) find appropriate pellets (2) find appropriate stoves for raw biomass (3) develop criteria for stoves testing concerning fuel/stove combustion and indoor/outdoor impacts.

On the last point, we have to find some agreeable way to address the concerns of producers, users and health professionals because at present their ‘own’ methods are not well aligned. The metrics and even the goals are different. Thank you for leading the initiative at CAU to do so much research on test methods with contributions from the user nations who are the most affected. I think the work presented by Marcelo Gorritty at the meeting in early November was particularly relevant. I hope that can be shared at some point.