[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 52, Issue 11

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Thu Dec 11 15:56:07 CST 2014

On 11 Dec 2014 at 12:00, stoves-request at lists.bioenergylists.org wrote:

> Traditionally in UK bread was baked by indirect heat, typically in
> bread ovens which were first fired with bundles of twigs and then once
> the brickwork was hot enough the ashes were raked out and the loaves
> sealed into the hot oven until cooked by the residual heat.

Or pushed to one side once pyrolysis was complete as a continuing source
of heat from the char, and the oven admitting just enough air to sustain
it.  A lower heat retaining body mass can be utilised then.

> I take it
> this is the same as your "high mass stove" method? Latterly the oven
> became a metal box around which the flue gases flowed and nowadays
> steam is used. So I'm not surprised there is some particulate
> contamination when fired directly in the flue gases, though it is
> gratifying to note that this is not such a problem with TLUD which has
> lower particulates.

Inspired more by Ray Mears baking bread in a 'Dutch Oven' over an open
fire, but not so impressed by the obviously very charred bottom of the
loaf that emerged, I placed my 'Kubex' circa 1960s camp oven consisting
of a galvanised single skin box with two shelves and a baffled hole in
the base, over the 'woodgas campstove XL' on low fan setting.  The dough
rose in a pyrex with lid, mimicking the enclosed Dutch oven to exclude
contact with the emissions, and a very satisfactory unburned loaf
resulted without refuelling the XL.

My Great Aunt when living 'off grid' as we now say, in rural Shropshire
England in the 1950's used a similar oven with mica window in the door on
top of a paraffin circular wick stove that burned with a blue flame with
a short chimney ending in the hob (a bit like the 'Champion').  She baked
cakes in it, and all sorts. Fascinated me as a small boy, and she kept
them for power cuts later in her life, and I now own them.  So a box
internally flued can work well too.

As a young boy scout I learned by watching, how to cook a leg of pork on
an open fire, enough to feed 8 to 12.  Underneath a canvas roof with no
sides or ends, the breakfast fire became a bed of hot char on which a
baking tray with the larded and salted pork was placed, and a galvanised
bath tub inverted over it and sealed with raked ashes and char, while a
separate fire was made and transported on a shovel to the windward side
and top of the bath tub.  Everyone got to listen to the pork sizzling by
removing a corner pole of the cook house shelter, and this was our
'temperature guage', placing the metal spike on the tub and the other end
in the ear.  After 4 years of annual scout camps and by then probably a
patrol leader, you were adequately trained to bring a large properly
cooked through pork roast with crackling to the trestle tables in the
marquee at more or less the same time as the other 5 patrols doing the
same!  Inspired I'm sure by ways used in the military, and taught with
amazing efficiency in this way.  Not so fuel efficient though I guess!

Hope that little diversion was acceptable.

Best wishes,   Neil Taylor