[Stoves] Increasing ND-TLUD riser height accelerates gasification and increases bed temperature

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 09:07:07 CST 2014

Hi Jock;

Thanks for your comment "Tweak one [design parameter] and you tweak them
all".  The interactions in ND-TLUDs are interesting.  We don't see them so
much in FD-TLUDs because the fan overrides all.   I developed the burner I
am using with prototype tin-can TLUDs and found that the gasification rate
was higher over the whole power curve with moderately large secondary air
holes.  The size of the air holes can't be too large, however, because as
they become larger they structure the air jets less and less, and you also
end up with big gaps between the holes.  I have found that round holes are
better than rectangular holes, because the round holes are better at
self-regulating the flow of secondary air as the flame size changes.

Geometry and placement of secondary air holes can affect the distribution
of burner draft between primary and secondary air.  Paul Anderson made an
interesting comment to me the other day.  He wondered if as the size of the
gas flame increased, the flame became more fuel rich.  Perhaps he will
elaborate on this for us.

The burner I am using is simple and robust.  There are, of course, other
approaches to burners, as you and Kirk Harris have shown.

All the best,
Julien.

Julien Winter
Cobourg, ON, CANADA