[Stoves] Smokeless transition

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 12 10:45:55 CST 2014

Marc,

All  of the other comments are useful.   I only add a couple of thoughts:

1.  If you have some (even one) irregularly larger piece of fuel at the
bottom, it will continue to give gases (potential smoke) for a while
after all of the surrounding fuel pieces have become char.   That very
small amount of pyrolytic gase sometimes is not sufficient to sustain
the upper flame, and the result will be smoke.

2.  When the MPF (migratory pyrolytic front) approaches the bottom, the
radiant heat that goes downward has no "next layer" of biomass to dry,
torrify and pyrolyze.   Instead, it radiates to the grate and back to
the already hot fuel, making it hotter and pyrolyzing faster.   That is
why there is a slight upward spike in the pyrolytic gases and the
resultant flame at the top.   Seeing that, the cook has the tendency to
try to turn down the flame, which is exactly the wrong thing to do.
The pyrolysis needs to finish strongly at the very end, to avoid that
small amount of final gases from being TOO small to sustain  the upper
flame (similar to the comment in #1 above).

We all hope that this helps.   Please (everyone) submit comments on
experiences that support or refute  the comments made to the readers.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com