[Stoves] Increasing ND-TLUD riser height accelerates gasification and increases bed temperature

Dean Still deankstill at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 13:42:32 CST 2014

Hi All,

The problem with smoke at the transition from wood to charcoal forced us to
add so much primary (bottom) air that the charcoal then burned up resulting
in no bio-char. If we wanted bio-char, not using the charcoal for cooking,
we added a valve to turn off the bottom air. Not a big deal.

Yes, charcoal burns hot. But so does the fire in a TLUD. For long life we
had to use refractory ceramic or refractory metals.

Another problem was to shield the whole stove so it could be used in 20 mph
wind without smoking, etc. We chose 20 mph as a reasonable goal. The wind
shield ended up being a full length cylinder with holes around the middle
of the perimeter equidistant from the primary and secondary holes in the
interior stove.

Best,

Dean