[Stoves] Correcting a misconception that approaches myth status

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 15 14:05:32 CST 2014

Stovers,

Truth:  TLUD stoves are very different in combustion from simply turning
a down-draft gasifier upside down.
Myth and misconception:  That TLUD and DD combustion is the same except
upside down.

My comments are stimulated by what Crispin Pemberton-Pigott who wrote:

> A TLUD is an upward burning downdraft stove and there is a great deal
> in common with them. There are investigations and patents going back
> to the 17^th century. FD-downdraft stoves are rare though known. There
> is a good reason why Dr Tom's stove was called an upside down
> downdraft combustor. It was a downdraft stove turned over, burning the
> same fuel in the same manner internally, with the fire on top.

Tom Reed called his innovation "Inverted Down-Draft" or IDD for short in
the 1980s and 90s.   He was inspired by what he knew about true Down
Draft (DD) gasifiers.   But names and reality are not always clearly
matching.   In 2004 - 05 I re-named it Top Lit UpDraft (TLUD) which is
also not totally accurate.   None of the names acknowledge the Migratory
Pyrolytic Front (MPF) that is the dominant feature of what is commonly
called TLUD micro-gasification.

Note:
A DD gasifier is ignited at the BOTTOM, and the fire (hot zone of
gasification) REMAINS at the bottom, and the unit can be operated with
continuous fuel entry into the top.

A IDD or TLUD or MPF gasifier is ignited at the TOP, and the fire (hot
zone of gasification) slowly MOVES to the bottom, after which time the
fire zone stays at the bottom and the unit operates as if it were a
regular UpDraft (UD) gasifier if anyone puts more fuel into the top.

Fundamentally different.

Because of Tom Reed and also Paal Wendelbo who worked totally
independently, we have something new for cookstoves.   They did not
invent pyrolysis.   They were not the first people to have a fire in a
barrel making gases and have the flames only up at the top where
secondary air was available.   (I saw that in the 1950s in a burn barrel
at my home.) But Reed and Wendelbo were the ones who CONTROLLED it and
understood it and made it all small enough to be useful in a
cookstove.   And the rest is history.   And TLUD history is still being
made.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com