[Stoves] Correcting a misconception that approaches myth status

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Tue Dec 16 00:01:40 CST 2014

Dear Crispin and Kirk,   (and I hope it reaches Tom Reed).

There are SOOOOOOO many different configurations of DD and UD that
almost anything can probably be shown.   For example, a forced high
volume of air into a TLUD can provide sufficient oxygen to consume the
char that is being created.   Not the normal case, but it can be done.

What is "normal" in down draft (DD) gasifiers?   I am not going to
define it.   But many of the important DD units have tuyeres (a nozzle
through which an air blast is delivered to a forge or blast furnace)
that are rather near the bottom of the device.   This is in contrast to
having air enter at the very top of a fuel chamber and drawn or push
downward through the full stack of fuel before reaching the hot zone
that is ignited at the bottom.   What the tuyeres can do is make enough
heat by putting air into the bed of created char so that the char
becomes a significant zone of glowing hot char.   And there is some heat
that goes upward and causes pyrolysis of the nearby biomass.   The
chamber is closed, so there is no gas movement upward.   The hot
pyrolytic gases are forced downward to the hot char where they are
change / cracked / modified to become the desirable CO and methane and
H2 and "good" gases that exit the gasifier at the bottom.   Those gases
can be burned immediately or eventually be used in internal combustion
engines (usually after cooling and filtering).   And as the char is
consumed, the created char from above moves into the hot zone.   And new
raw fuel can be added at the top, but carefully and when there is
minimal pressure inside the gasifier.)

THAT type of DD bears little resemblance to TLUD processes.

But COULD a container of fuel as described by Crispin have an ignition
at the bottom and eventually convert it to charcoal with the gases
exiting the bottom, etc.?   I do not doubt it.  Was that ever done in
the days of making coal gas for city lighting, etc? I have not studied
that history, so I do not refute Crispin nor ask for documentation.
Many things have been done, some are important and some are not.

It is interesting that we are basically discussing what if the basic
TLUD configuration was turned upside down.   Could we be using that
method to make more char?   And could that become important as a way to
make biochar?   That topic is wide open for anyone who wants to look
into it.

I never asked Tom Reed what type of DD gasifier he was considering  when
he had his inspiration for the IDD method. Maybe he will send us a comment.

And yes, Crispin and I are friends since about 2002 when I visited him a
couple of times at his home and business is Swaziland.   In case you are
wondering, he is almost always argumentative, presenting different
points of view, and with supporting evidence, often from obscure
sources.   Not always correct, but none of us are.   Refreshing,
challenging, and generally very good-natured. Under-estimated by many
people.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com