[Stoves] central secondary air

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 17 10:42:50 CST 2014

Crispin,

Thanks for your well informed (by much experience) comments. Short
flames are to be desired, but different approaches are still being
studied.   Some other quick replies:

1.  I do not have a high regard for the Mayon rice husk stove. My
experience was limited and several years ago, but I have not read of any
substantial changes to the stove since then.   And we do not hear that
it is being well accepted somewhere.  I hope we can hear from some
others who can add their comments.

2.  Where do I go to read the results of what stoves have passed the
requirements of the Indonesia project?   Did I miss an announcement?
IMO, things like that should be announced with glee and fan-fare!

3.  I am glad to hear that some TLUDs are approved in Indonesia, EVEN
THOUGH THERE IS NO RECOGNITION FOR THE CHARCOAL PRODUCED (unless it is
somehow consumed later in the same stove).   It will be very interesting
to have some study done (even if rather informal observations) about
what the users of those stove actually will do with the charcoal, and if
the char is acknowledged by the users as having some value or
importance.   I agree with Crispin that char is no longer the same as
the original biomass fuel.  Kg of biomass into the stove is gone (when
calculating FUEL efficiency) even if there is about 20% of the Kg weight
coming out as char (which is about 30% of the energy value of the
biomass and about 50% of the carbon atoms of the biomass.).   But the
ENERGY efficiency calculations would give credit for the energy value to
the char.   And the FINANCIAL "efficiency" (relating to cost of fuels or
to benefits of possible increases in crop production because of biochar)
could also be calculated, but would be more debated because of differing
perceived values.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype: paultlud      Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com