[Stoves] Correcting a misconception that approaches myth status

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Dec 17 16:18:32 CST 2014

Dear Ron

Re the link to the paper from CSU:

I think you and the group would be interested to see this performance from a
TLUD burning wood pellets (only 1 test - don't cite for rating purposes). It
is just good for discussing what is already on the market.

The cumulative figure for the whole 75 minute burn cycle was 52.7%. Because
this stove was producing charcoal as well (30% of mass burned) the system
efficiency (analogous to fuel consumption) is 32.8%.

The PM2.5 reduction was 98% and CO reduction 86% (against a Keren stove
baseline, not open fire). The final numbers are:

PM2.5 = 9.6 mg/MJNET

CO =      <3 g/MJNET

Fuel Efficiency = 33%

Power 5 kW max

Power control ratio 3:1

Burn cycle: CSI-WHT-TT1 [High, medium, long low, short high]

It is a natural draft stove. No chimney no fan. If it was a char burner it
would do much better on the fuel efficiency.

I suggest the notion that only 'fan stoves' can burn biomass cleanly should
be revisited. This stove hasn't yet been systematically perfected for the
fuel.

Paul and list + 3 ccs

see below

On Dec 17, 2014, at 8:17 AM, Paul Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu