[Stoves] Distributing Secondary Air from the Outside or Centerof TLUD gas burner

kgharris kgharris at sonic.net
Fri Dec 19 14:06:51 CST 2014

Crispin,

Good idea.

Thank you,

Kirk
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
  To: 'Discussion of biomass cooking stoves'
  Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:53 PM
  Subject: Re: [Stoves] Distributing Secondary Air from the Outside or Centerof TLUD gas burner

  Dear Julien

  You could just crimp it around the edges to generate some turbulence. Maybe fractionation is a better word.

  Here is a photo of a plate substituting for a pot:

  When the plate is removed air dives in from above, pulled in by the buoyancy of the hot gases which run to one side.

  When the plate is replaced, the proper combustion is re-established – proper meaning the secondary air makes it to the centre.

  Dear Crispin;

  Thanks for you comments.  The idea of using a metal grate as a 'pot' is a good one, as well as a gear on the bottom of the inner distributer.

  One advantage of this inner distributer, is that you can screw all sorts of thing on the bottom to modify the air flow.  I have tired using holes rather than a gap, but it was not as successful as the gap, because the holes created more resistance to air flow.  Resistance to air flow becomes especially important when using both the central air supply and peripheral air supply, because they are competing for the same draft.   I haven't yet tried to create a swirl.

  When I use the central distributor on its own, the flame tends to travel up the side walls of the riser.  That is not good so good, especially if your riser is not insulated.  By adding some secondary air from the circumference, that is avoided.

  As for pots, I have heard rumors about those.

  Julien.

  --

  Julien Winter
  Cobourg, ON, CANADA