[Stoves] Flamestover TEG device

Todd Albi todd.r.albi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 02:44:13 CST 2014

Many of the Smart phones chargers are 5 watts, tablets chargers usually are
10 watts.  The Flamestower is only 2.5 watts and it states 3.1 hours to
charge, according to the description.  Sounds a lot like the major
complaint of the BioLite Camp stove, that it only generates  2 watts of
power the majority of the time, and only when feeding it continually, which
results in hours of time required to charge a cell phone with a partial
charge.  There are lots of cost effective options available to provide low
power options for charging at a fraction of the price.  Hopefully more
efficient and powerful designs will be available in the near future.
Currently it appears intermittent led lighting is all they are really
capable of performing at a very high cost.

The new larger BioLit Base Camp stove is another a huge disappointment in
cooking performance and power.  It has a larger 5 watt charger that is also
intermittent.  It also takes twice as long as an average natural draft
rocket stoves to perform a simple 5 liter WBT.  It also requires completely
dry fuel to operate or to charge efficiently.  The stove does not perform
well with found fuel, or damp fuel.  It also fills with char extremely
quickly impeding ventilation and heat transfer to the pot.

In fact the BioLite Base Campmanual states that you need to dump the char
every 20 -45 minutes.  They are correct, it is quickly clogged with spent
embers.  Most natural draft rocket stoves are significantly more
efficient.  The BioLite Base Camp stove is heavy and also twice the price
of any other rocket stove and only works half as well.  Unfortunately it
appears these inefficient fan stoves are going to give biofuel stoves a bad
name.  Currently they they appear to be over priced, inefficient novelty
options.

Todd Albi