[Stoves] cement versus concrete for heat resistance

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Dec 31 06:27:35 CST 2014

Dear Richard

If the cement stays below 400 C it will last a long time. To make lime they burn limestone. To make Portland Cement, they add ground clay, about 20%. To make fireclay cement they add a lot more clay.

The expectation withe fireclay cement is that the cement that has set will burn again and turn into powdered lime. The clay will ' fire' and provide ‎some adhesion.

Brick walls are mostly held together by gravity, not cement mortar. Andi and I built stoves in Malawi out of bricks with no mortar and ‎he suggested they worked a little better than the mortared ones!

Happy New Year
Crispin
‎
Amigoes,
A colleague Brian Davis of coci Nica stoves asked me  why does cement not break down as much as concrete when subject to heat  when used as mortar in a brick stove .
How would one best alter the mix  to reduce thermal failure ?

Ref., the Coci Nic Stove by Brianand NAncy Davis in Nicaragua…
Richard

stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org

http://stoves.bioenergylists.org/