[Stoves] Outdoor test report

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 12:23:12 CST 2014

Hello Saloop;

It looks like you are making progress.

I think you need more secondary air and better mixing of air and pyrogas,
because your flame is too tall.  Try using larger secondary air
holes.  According to Reed et al (2000) you need up to 6 times more
secondary air than primary air.  That would be supplying about 1.5 times
the stoichiometric requirement for oxygen.  The greater than stoichiometric
oxygen is needed to compensate of incomplete mixing of oxidant and fuel.

Reed, TB; Anselmo, E; Kircher, K.  2000.  Testing and modeling the wood-gas
turbo stove.  Presented at the Progresss in Thermochemical Biomass
Conversion Conference, Sept. 17-22, 2000, Tyrol, Austria
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/TurboStove.pdf

It would be good to have a lower flame, because it is best not to have the
flame contact the bottom of the pot, where is can cool and deposit soot.
Cooling the flame can result in incomplete combustion.  You may want to
raise the pot so there is sufficient room for the flame to complete
combustion.

Consider putting a metal shield ("skirt") around the pot to direct heat
up its sides.

I will leave it to others, such as Crispin, to comment on your calculations
of efficiency.

In a week or so, I will be describing a couple of burners that I have
designed that give a lower flame height.  One you have already seen which
is a burner with holes, but is 1.2-1.3 times the diameter of the TLUD
reactor.  The second adds in a central distributor of secondary air.  I
have attached photographs of what their flames look like at medium power.

All the best,
Julien

--
Julien Winter