[Stoves] Tom Miles / cristobalite discussion

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Feb 20 09:32:05 CST 2014

I'll check. We are redoing the archives.

Basically cristobalite forms at very high temperatures that are not usually
reached in pyrolysis and gasification. Cristobalite usually forms in very
high temperature combustion of rice husks. Combustion conditions can be
adjusted to avoid  the high temperature peaks. More than 100,00 tons of rice
husk ash is generated in boilers in the US with no substantial cristobalite
formation. ( Other properties of rice husk ash can make it a hazardous
material according to department of transportation. ) Cristobalite was found
in rice husk ash in Australia from an updraft gasifier that has a very high
temperature oxidation zone. I don't think it has been found in appreciable
quantities in TLUD ash. It is not likely that TLUD ash has been tested for
cristobalite silica but others may know more about that.

Thanks

Tom