[Stoves] Request for technology proposals - Clean Stove Initiative, Indonesia

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Feb 23 18:19:41 CST 2014

Crispin  (adding back in “Stoves”, the intended audience of our exchange)

This is to try to again get you to comment on what I thought was a major error in your presentation - and to which you only gave a “SNIP”.

1.   About this particular SNIP, I said in my original (emphasis added):

"4.  ……... The main point is at the bottom - non-physical results are being offered.”      So obviously I have to come back to understanding anything that is non-physical.

2.   This non-physical claim related to your last example, where you started it with the important word “simultaneously” (Presumably to show that char-making stoves had the chance I am claiming is not there.   I am going to delete most of my remarks below  in the interest of getting to the point.  I keep all of yours, which I found to be correct.  But you did not perform the energy balance, which I am saying is seriously wrong.  To repeat, you have postulated a non-physical scenario.  Again, this is to ask you to comment.

> I have encouraged everyone for several years to make this sort of calculation because if you have a char production target, say 18-20%, and you have a fuel efficiency target, there is a heat transfer efficiency target that will produce all the results simultaneously.

> I am confident that with the larger boilers, 20 litres, the heat transfer efficiency will be in the high 80’s. It is, after all, a gas flame burning in constant, perfect circumstances each time with no need for control.
> To calculate that, let’s use 85% HT eff and 3.5 MJ/10 litres:
> 1 kg fuel @ 17MJ/kg AR (As received) total 17 MJ
> 2 Stars needs 55% overall thermal efficiency (Heat in the fuel v.s. heat in the pot)
> 20 litres needs 7 MJ in the pot.  7/0.85 = 8.235 MJ of fire heat
> 2 Stars means using up to 7/.55 = 12.727 MJ of heat
> Difference is 4.49 <J or 155 g of char
> Mass of fuel used including making the char = 749 g with 155 g left as char (21%)

4.   Then, having confirmed all the previous were correct computations, I added these computations to see how they fit in an energy balance sense - and they didn't

  	Eff1 = 85%  = [7 MJ/8.235 MJ]
	Eff2 = 4.49 MJ/8.235 MJ =  54.5%  (This number is OK by itself, but not when 85% means an E1=Eff1 computation.  You did not make this Eff2 computation or the next two either.  Jim Jeffers certainly would.
	Eff3 = 85%+ 54.5% = 139.5%   - Clearly something wrong  - the problem was just over-specified I think.
	Eff4 = 7/(8.235 - 4.49) = 7/3+ - >>100%;   not even worth calculating the GACC number.  D (losses) would be negative.

> This is technically possible.
	[RWL:  and I say not, based on these calculations.  But this can be salvaged, if by 85% you mean either Eff 3 or Eff4.  Did you?  Could you?  I’d be glad to try recalculating everything if that was the case.

5.  So this is to ask again what went wrong in your example re conservation of energy.   I ask that you change something to fit with reality.   I think you must agree that you were promising more than you could deliver for char-producing stove people?  For others, below, you can see that Crispin is disavowing the Eff3 and Eff4 calculation option that I am still urging for Indonesia.
     My guess is that your error is in saying that Eff1 will stay at 85%.  Assuming the 15% loss stays fixed and we somehow get an eff2 of 54.5%, then Eff1 will drop well below the level 1 minimum value of 45% - showing a “failure” to not reach level 1 status - when in fact many would consider this a fantastic stove.
     But maybe Crispin has another explanation.

6.  One other thing to comment on is this exchange from below at my #3:

> 3.  I don’t see in your computations that the input fuel weight has to change as you go from no char to char-making.
>
> Correct. I have assumed the worked examples provided that the input fuel was constant as it went from fuel burning to char-yielding.

	The point is that you just can’t keep both the 85% efficiency (as Crispin calculates it) and new char.  Char-making stoves of course are going to use more input fuel at the stove just to do the cooking task, but the stove suers leave much more standing where the (maybe illegal) char is made in the bush.  If the char ends up as biochar in the field, this stove production is one of the best approaches - and may have only used ag residues.

7.  I also saw a statistic that 40% of logging in Indonesia is illegal in Indonesia (http://www.illegal-logging.info/sites/default/files/uploads/CHillegalloggingreportcardindonesia.pdf ).  This makes me question Crispin’s remark below that the Indonesian government believes: "At present all the fuel consumed is considered ‘sustainable’

Ron