[Stoves] [Gasification] Chip Guillotine was Re: Wood heating in the UK - whole log gasification

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 19:31:27 CST 2014

Dear Andrew

>Doug mentioned the Laimet, earlier Sasmo, helical/spiral blade. I never did
think much of them because it seemed that the increase friction path of the
blade lead to loss of efficiency compared with a direct slice and I worry
about this with the part rotation of the disc blade as it travels through
the wood, however the proof is in the pudding...

>In the past we discussed modified chaff cutters which were hand
operated:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/objects/Ip6tPg0kTH-wrFzK-uWpSw

++++++

There is some merit in the slicer when looking to cut woody things. The
guillotine is much more difficult to operate, in my experience. If it bends
the material away before slicing, things get even better. You can try it
with a pen knife: cutting directly at 90 degrees or slicing into wood at 45.

The one at the link above is really advanced when it comes to safety which
is good because this sort of machine was responsible for more lost fingers
than any other piece of farm equipment.

A variation on the same drive mechanism was used to crush sugar cane juice
on a cup-at-a-time scale. The blades of course were missing.